Double Glazed Products
Insulated glazing or commonly known as double glazing has been increasingly popular as an important element in modern construction. These double glazed windows are two glass window panes that are aligned together and separated by a gap filled with air of other gas to reduce heat transfer across a part of the building envelope.
Insulated Glass Units are manufactured with glass of thickness ranging from 3mm to 10mm. However, the thickness of the glass can vary depending on the purpose of applications. An example of a special application would be for an acoustic attenuation/soundproofing that requires the use of different thickness of glass used in each pane. Double glazed windows are highly energy efficient in reducing heat transfer and in return, these insulated glazing are very effective in saving energy use.
Advantages of double glazed windows installation:
- Temperature control: the implementation of Insulated Glazing Units such as the double glazed windows minimizes temperature fluctuation inside a house. This is due the property of the double and triple glazed windows that able to keep heat in or out effectively. Consequently, house with double glazed windows will be cooler in summer and warmer in winter. In winter, heat loss can be reduced up to more than 50% through a double glazed window. There are superior glass options available to further reduce heat loss such as the Low-E glass and argon filled units. These types of glass reduce heat loss of more than 70% better than a single glazed window. In summer, the insulating layer of a double glazed window will reduces the heat transfer from outside by radiation. The conversion from single glazing to double glazing will reduce the solar heat gain through the window by approximately 15%.
- Reduces condensation: condensation occurs when moist air meets cooler objects. Less efficient windows such as single glazed windows facilitates the formation of condensation because the temperature between the room and the glass surface are greater if compared to when double glazing is implemented. Double glazed windows are so efficient in reducing condensation because the interior and exterior surface of this type of glazing is close to the adjacent air temperature. Less temperature difference, less condensation. As a result of using double glazing, your home will be drier and warmer because internal condensation can be significantly reduces and less moisture that is causing the build-up of unsightly and unhealthy mould and fungus.
- Sound attenuation/soundproofing: the soundproofing property of a double glazed window is determined by the size of the gap between the 2 window panes. The variation glass thickness and the type of the glass are also the factors that can improve soundproofing property. Double glazing can attenuate sound transmission varying from 20% to 70%, depending on the type of the glazing selected. The incorporation of laminated glass in one of the window pane in double glazed windows can effectively reduce noise transmission. Please refer to the table of noise reduction by glass types in this “Soundproofing with double glazed window” link.
- Security: double glazed windows are generally harder to break than single pane glass windows. However, this depends on the type of glass used for the double glazing. Laminated glass is especially impact resistant due to the plastic glazing interlayer. This will minimized the possibility of break-ins and improve security in the house. In addition, when broken, the shards of the double glazed windows normally stay in place, thus reducing the possibilities of injury.
- Privacy: the use of Tinted, obscure (frosted) or patterned glass will improve privacy because this type of glass lowers the transmission of visible light from outside into the house, thus lowering visibility from outside.
- Minimising UV radiation: the most concerning problem due to ultraviolet radiation into a house is the fading of interior furnishing. Exposure to sunlight causes the interior furnishing to gradually lose its colour and faded to make them look unattractive. Laminated glass is extremely useful in reducing the UV light radiation into a house up to 90%. Toned glass is also useful to reduce the penetration of UV light.
SCS has a wide range of double glazing products available to suit your need.
The range of products consists of:
- Double glazed aluminium window and doors
- Double glazed timber windows and doors
- Double glazed uPVC windows and doors
Please Contact SCS for further inquiries regarding to the double glazed products.